In days of old, the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend involved crackers, bonfires and lots of them! As kids, we were always dressed in highly flammable plastic parkers and dressing gowns standing way too close to crackers being let off by dads who had consumed too many Reschs or VB tinnies. We’re not sure why they banned them, ha ha! Party poopers! We’ll be grabbing a pack of sparklers and glow bands for old time’s sake this weekend. Here are some other ideas for you.
Galston Valley Railway Open Day. Sunday 13 June. From 9.30am to 3pm.
Run by the Hornsby Model Engineers’ Co-operative, Galston Valley Railway is an amazing and unique experience, particularly if you have a train fanatic in the family! It’s a miniature railway with a main line length of about 1km running through a picturesque bush setting, with a mix of steam and diesel trains. And it’s right here in the outer Hills, although you’d never know from simply driving past! Currently, it operates the second and fourth Sundays of every month. Read more about it here. At the moment, you do need to book tickets in advance but they are releasing some additional tickets on the day for this event. See the Facebook page for details.
My Kids Market Kellyville. Sunday 13 June. 9am to 12pm. Bernie Mullane Sports Complex.
Save money on baby and kids clothes, toys & more when My Kids Market NSW returns to Kellyville on Sunday 13 June for a very special long weekend event.
My Kids Market is the place to find gently used baby and kids clothing, toys shoes and other nursery items for a fraction of the retail price. The market is filled with local families selling items their kids have outgrown, with a huge range by all the popular brands catering from pregnancy and newborns to kids’ clothing up to approximately 8 years of age.
The event runs from 9am to 12pm at Bernie Mullane Sports Complex, Marella Ave, Kellyville. $4 for admission and kids are free.
The market is cash only, no ATM on site so come prepared with plenty of cash!
The Farm at Lynwood Country Club. Every Sunday 12pm – 3pm.
Take the kids for lunch and they’ll get to see rabbits, goats and sheep! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm. There is a fabulous playground at Lynwood Country Club plus great outdoor seating.
Queen’s Birthday celebrations at The Australiana Pioneer Village. Monday 14 June. 10am to 4pm.
- Castle Hill Farmers and Fine Food Market – Saturday 12 June. 8am to 12pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- The Growers’ Markets – Dural Country Club. Sunday 13 June. 9am to 2pm. Dural Country Club.
- My Kids Market Kellyville – Sunday 13 June. 9am to 12pm. Bernie Mullane Sports Complex.
Pick your own fruit
Check out our list of places to visit here. At the moment mandarin picking is the thing to do! And you can also get tomatoes and pink lady apples.
- Queens Birthday Boozy High Tea at Bella Vista Hotel. Saturday 12 June, Sunday 13 June and Monday 14 June. From 12pm.
- Queens Birthday Long Weekend RNB Party at Bella Vista Hotel. Sunday 13 June. From 6pm.
- Go for a bush walk. Here are our favourite Kid friendly bush walks in the Hills.
- Take out your bike or scooter. Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths.
- Use your discover NSW Vouchers. If you haven’t used your $25 Discover vouchers yet here are some ideas.
Other articles that might interest you:
- Kid friendly bush walks in the Hills
- The Hills Sydney: Best playgrounds for Under 5s
- Pubs, clubs and restaurants with a playground in the Hills
- Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths
Did you know it’s free to list your event on hillsdistrictmums.com.au? We use our calendar to compile this list! List your event for FREE here.