Family Day: Science. Powerhouse Castle Hill. Saturday 12 August. 10am to 4pm.
Powerhouse Castle Hill presents a free family day of demonstrations, talks and hands-on activities focused on themes of Trace. Experience objects from the Powerhouse science collection, see their Mars Rover in action, get making with creative activities that connect with technology and innovation on display at Castle Hill. More info can be found here.
Thornleigh Model Railway Exhibition. Saturday 12 August, 9am to 5pm and Sunday 13 August, 9am to 4pm. Thornleigh Community Hall.
A great variety of model train layouts as well as a second-hand sales room. Plus children (of all ages) can run the locomotives in the U-Drive area. More information here.
Science in the Scrub. Western Sydney Parklands. Sunday 13 August. 11am to 3pm.
Celebrate National Science Week with FREE family fun at Western Sydney Parklands!
- Science in the Scrub returns to Lizard Log packed with science, fun and discovery.
- Engage in hands-on experiments, get up close with native animals and meet real life scientists including geologists, zoologists, physicists and marine biologists.
- Say hello to Ginger the life-size dinosaur, touch the world’s biggest seed, make a survival shelter or visit the pop-up ocean lab.
- With over 30 awe-inspiring stalls, live shows and food trucks, there’s science fun for everyone!
For more details head to bit.ly/3K8wy7Z.
Galston Valley Railway Open Day. Sunday 13 August. 9.30am – 3pm.
Run by the Hornsby Model Engineers’ Co-operative, Galston Valley Railway is a miniature railway with a main line length of about 1km running through a picturesque bush setting, with a mix of steam and diesel trains. Great for little train fanatics. Visit the railway’s Facebook page for the latest information and for details on booking. Train riders must wear enclosed shoes.
Visit Creatures of the Ice Age at Sydney Zoo. Saturday 1 July – Sunday 27 August
Get ready to chill with the coolest gang in town! Creatures of the Ice Age have emerged from their frozen hideaways and have made themselves at home at Sydney Zoo! FREE with your zoo ticket.
Pick your own fruit
Check out our list of places to visit here. At the moment mandarin picking is the thing to do! And you can also get tomatoes and pink lady apples.
The Farm at Lynwood Country Club. Every Sunday 11am – 2pm.
Bring the kids along to Lynwood Country Club to see rabbits, goats and sheep! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm.
- Riverstone Food Markets – Saturday 12 August. 5pm to 9pm. Bambridge Lane, Riverstone.
- Castle Hill Farmers and Fine Food Market – Saturday 12 August. 8am to 12pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- St Albans Village Market – Sunday 13 August. 10am to 2pm. St Albans.
- Dural Village Markets. Sunday 13 August. 9am to 2pm. Dural Country Club.
- Drag Bingo Brunch at Bella hosted by Annie Mation. Bella Vista Hotel. Saturday 12 August. From 11am.
- 80s Rewind at Bella Vista Hotel. Saturday 12 August. From 9pm.
- Discovery walkthroughs: Australian Innovations. Every Saturday and Sunday in August. From 11am.
- Rouse Hill Estate open to the public. Every Sunday. 10am to 4pm.
- Go for a bush walk. Here are our favourite kid friendly bush walks in the Hills.
- Go for a bike or scooter ride. Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths.
Other articles that might interest you:
- Term 3 Activities and Classes Guides
- Best playgrounds for Under 5s
- Day trips from the Hills
- Parks & coffee – a mum’s perfect combination
Did you know it’s free to list your event on hillsdistrictmums.com.au? We use our calendar to compile this list! List your event for FREE here.