Orange Blossom Bonsai Show. Friday 15 September and Saturday 16 September – 10am to 5pm – and Sunday 17 September – 10am to 4pm. Castle Hill Showground.
Marvel at the large collection of beautiful bonsai trees from the Bonsai Society of Australia. This annual event is part of the Orange Blossom Festival.
RFS Get Ready Weekend
Know your risk this bush fire season. The risk of bush fires is returning. With several years of wet weather grass and scrub has grown across NSW. Talk to your local RFS members about the likely risk of bush or grass fire in your local area.
Get Ready Weekend is held across NSW in around 500 locations and its aim is to encourage residents and landowners to plan and prepare for the upcoming bush fire season. In 2023, the majority of Get Ready Weekend events will be held on the weekend of September 16 and 17.
In the Hills the following events will be held:
- Rouse Hill Fire Brigade Get Ready Community Event. Saturday 16 September. 10am to 2pm.
- Westleigh RFS Open Day. Saturday 16 September. 10am to 3pm.
- Cherrybrook Rural Fire Brigade. Saturday 16 September. 11am to 2pm.
If you live in an area near grasslands or farms, recent rain has caused widespread grass growth. As this dries out the risk of grassfires increases. Grass fires can start easily and move quickly. Even if you live in an area affected by the 2019/20 bush fires, you may be at risk this bush fire season. Many areas are seeing new growth among grasses and shrubs. It takes only a few days of hot dry and windy weather for these to dry out. Fires may start quickly and move quickly.
If you live in an area near bushland that was not affected by recent fires you may be at higher risk this Summer. Recent wet weather has encouraged growth and has hampered efforts for fire agencies to reduce hazards.
With hot and drier conditions expected this Summer, you may be at higher than normal risk of bush and grass fire. Know your risk this bush fire season and prepare well ahead.
Murray Farm Cracker Carnival. Saturday 16 September.
The Farm at Lynwood Country Club. Every Sunday 11am – 2pm.
Bring the kids along to Lynwood Country Club to see rabbits, goats and sheep! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm.
- 80s Flashback at Bella Vista Hotel. Saturday 16 September. From 9pm.
- Discovery walkthroughs: Australian Innovations. Every Saturday and Sunday in September. From 11am.
- Nurragingy Miniature Railway. Sunday 17 September. 10am to 3pm.
- Rouse Hill Estate open to the public. Every Sunday. 10am to 4pm.
- Go for a bush walk. Here are our favourite kid friendly bush walks in the Hills.
- Go for a bike or scooter ride. Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths.
Other articles that might interest you:
- What’s on this September
- Spring School Holiday Guide
- Best playgrounds for Under 5s
- Day trips from the Hills
- Parks & coffee – a mum’s perfect combination
Did you know it’s free to list your event on hillsdistrictmums.com.au? We use our calendar to compile this list! List your event for FREE here.