- Public school holidays start Saturday 1 July. School goes back on Monday 17 July but most public schools have a staff development day on the first day back, with kids returning to school on Tuesday 18 July.
- Visit Creatures of the Ice Age at Sydney Zoo. Saturday 1 July – Sunday 6 August. For more info & tickets visit sydneyzoo.com/ice-age/
- Family Day: Experimental Drawing. Castle Hill Powerhouse. Saturday 1 July. 10am to 4pm.
- Free Learn to Skate Workshops. Bella Vista Pocket Park. Saturday 1 July. 9am to 1.30pm.
- Bella Vista Farm Open Day. Sunday 2 July. 9am to 2pm.
- NAIDOC Week morning tea at Castle Towers. Tues 4 July. 10.30am.
- Rouse Hill Estate open to the public. Every Sunday. 10am to 4pm.
- The Farm at Lynwood Country Club. Every Sunday 11am – 2pm. Bring the kids along to see rabbits, birds and sheep! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm.
- Burramatta NAIDOC. Parramatta Park. Saturday 8 July. 10am to 4pm.
- Galston Valley Railway Open Day. Sunday 9 July. 9.30am – 3pm.
- Draw your Inner Barbie or Ken at Castle Hill RSL. Thursday 20 July from 7pm
- After Party Band Live at Bella Vista Hotel. Saturday 22 July from 9pm.
- Barbie Movie Trivia Night at Castle Hill RSL. Thursday 27 July from 7pm.
- Fit Kidz Foundation’s Stronger Together conference – for parents and carers who have a neurodivergent dependent or a dependent with a disability in their care. Sat 29 July, 8.30 – 3pm. Castle Hill RSL. $20. stronger-together-tickets.raisely.com
- Taylor Swift v Brittany Spears Musical Brunch at Bella Vista Hotel. Saturday 29 July from 11am.
Do you still need to arrange a camp, class or activity if you need to work or just need to fill in a half-day, a day or more? Here are some options in and around the Hills that may have some spots left.
School Holidays at Castle Hill RSL
- Ultimate Magic Show with Jonas Jost – Tuesday 4 July. 10.30am. A super popular action packed family show, featuring hilarious comedy and mind-blowing magic for kids and adults alike. This show is highly interactive, getting the kids involved in all the action onstage and isn’t just funny for the kids but the parents will have a good laugh too! Find out more here.
- Balloony-loonys Workshop – Thursday 6 July. 10.30am. A balloon-twisting expert will arrive pumped up and ready to inspire kids to innovate, build an enormous balloon sculpture, and to twist basic ballooning designs. Including twisting skills, basic frame-building and finally the construction of an original (and gargantuan) group project. Find out more here.
- Pom Pom Party Animal Workshop – Wednesday 12 July. 10.30am. Learn to create a distinctive multicolour pom-pom and choose which Aussie animal you will bring to life! Decorate your new pet with all the fabulous features that make it special – wings, fangs, or flippers. Attach it to a key ring and you are ready to take it home or hang it on your bag. Find out more here.
Fun at local shopping centres
The following centres are running school holiday activities:
- Castle Towers – It’s Not Rocket Science – 4 July to 15 July. Exhibit, virtual intergalatic trail and science & craft workshops – bookings required. Find out more here.
- Rouse Hill Shopping Centre – Soccer Shoot Out – Monday 3 July to Sunday 9 July. Prizes to be won! Find out more here.
- Castle Mall Shopping Centre – Meet Peppa Pig (Wed 5 & Thurs 6 July) and Spider-Man (Wed 12 & Thurs 13 July). 10am, 11am, 12noon, 1pm (30-minute appearances)
- North Rocks Shopping Centre – Let’s have a ball. Thurs 6 July to Fri 14 July. 10am to 2pm.
Creature – PHIVE’s free interactive play space. Saturday 1 July – Sunday 16 July 2023, PHIVE at 5 Parramatta Square.
These school holidays, explore the unique sounds, sights and wildlife of the Australian bush in PHIVE’s FREE immersive play space featuring interactive digital projections. Step inside Creature to experience the Australian landscape though the play space of interactive, digital projections. Be greeted by the bounding kangaroos, the chirp of the crickets and croaking frogs. Chase the moon and send the stars swirling with the help of your friends.
Creature is an immersive play space with interactive visuals that will send imaginations into a world of discovery. Workshop performances on Thursday to Sunday will encourage children to take centre stage and explore this magical setting through creative movement and artistry.
Burramatta NAIDOC. Saturday 8 July, 10am – 4pm The Crescent, Parramatta Park.
Explore the rich diversity of First Nations music, food, dance, and tradition at Burramatta NAIDOC.
Bring the family for a FREE and fun day out to experience the vibrant culture and history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Enjoy live music and dance performances, try your hand at traditional arts and crafts, shop for something special at the market stalls, and listen to captivating songs and stories.
The theme for 2023 National NAIDOC Week is ‘For Our Elders’, an acknowledgement of the role our Elders have played, and continue to play, in our communities and families.
Find out more HERE.
Wolfgang’s Magical Circus. Riverside Theatre. 10 July to 12 July.
Straight from the score and onto the stage, the man known as Mozart appears amid a storm of powder, tumbling and twirling, as musical mayhem and movement fuse in this family show with a circus twist! To those who know him, he is Wolfgang, the dart-playing ratbag. To those who are watching and listening, he is the wigged genius, Mozart. Come and discover his irrepressible spirit and vibrant compositions through physical comedy and mischievous antics.
Suitable for ages 3+. Book now: https://riversideparramatta.com.au/whats-on/wolfgangs-magical-musical-circus-2/
Bella Vista Hotel
- Tuesday July 11 | Kids Pinot & Picasso: TICKETS HERE
- Wednesday July 12 | Kids Bingo: BOOK HERE
- Thursday July 13 | Kids Pizza Making: BOOK HERE
Bookings are required to guarantee a spot.
Winter School Holidays at Hudson Hotel
Powerhouse Castle Hill
- Family Minecraft – ages 7+ – Sunday 9 July and Saturday 15 July – 10.30am to 12.30pm – book here.
- Minecraft Play – ages 7-12 – 8, 9, 15 and 16 July – 1pm to 3pm – book here.
- Stop Motion Animation wth Emily Besser – ages 6-12 – 8, 9, 15 and 16 July – 1pm to 3pm – book here.
- Make a Drawbot – ages 5+ – Saturday 8 July and Sunday 16 July – 10am to 11am and 11.30am to 12.30pm. Book here.
Visit Inflatable World in Dural!
It’s opening just in time for school holidays! Open 9.30am – 4.30pm every day in the school holidays. The Centre has onsite parking, toilets, level access and a great café on site! Cost: $18 for kids 5 and over, $10 for kids 4 and under. More info: inflatableworldoz.com.au/stadiums/dural/
- Aboriginal Cultural Sessions with Muru Mittigar. Wednesday 5 July. Castle Hill Library. K-2 – 10am to 11am. Yrs 3-6 – 11.30am to 12.30pm. Bookings essential.
- Aboriginal Art Workshop Muru Mittigar. Wednesday 5 July. Castle Hill Library. 2pm to 3pm. Bookings essential.
- Australian Reptile Experience. Wednesday 12 July. 12pm to 1pm. Castle Hill Library.
- Sydney Boutique Markets – Saturday 2 July. 10am to 4pm. Rouse Hill Town Centre.
- Castle Hill Farmers and Fine Food Market – Saturday 8 July and Saturday 22 July. 8am to 12pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- St Albans Village Market – Sunday 9 July. 10am to 2pm. St Albans.
- Dural Village Markets. Sunday 9 July. 9am to 2pm. Dural Country Club.
- The Hills UPMarket. Sunday 23 July. 9am to 2pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- Glenorie Village Markets. Sunday 30 July. 9am to 1pm.
- FREE storytime sessions for babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers are held by libraries in the Hills throughout the week. For the full calendar see here. Note: these sessions aren’t run during school holidays.
Other articles that might interest you:
- Winter School Holiday Guide
- Boredom busting ideas for the Winter school holidays
- Term 3 Activities and Classes Guides
- Kid friendly bush walks in the Hills
- The Hills Sydney: Best playgrounds for Under 5s
- Pubs, Clubs or Restaurants with a Playground in the Hills
- Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths