This weekend is the first ever King’s birthday long weekend since we’ve been alive and sorry Charles, it’ll never be as good as the Queen’s Birthday long weekends of our childhood! In days of old, the Queen’s birthday long weekend involved crackers, bonfires and lots of them! As kids, we were always dressed in highly flammable plastic parkers and dressing gowns, standing way too close to crackers being let off by dads who had consumed too many Reschs or VB tinnies. We’re not sure why they banned them, ha ha! Party poopers! We’ll be grabbing a pack of sparklers and glow bands for old time’s sake this weekend. Here are some other ideas for you.
King’s Birthday Long Weekend events at The Australiana Pioneer Village.
Galston Valley Railway Open Day. Sunday 11 June. From 9.30am to 3pm.
Run by the Hornsby Model Engineers’ Co-operative, Galston Valley Railway is an amazing and unique experience, particularly if you have a train fanatic in the family! It’s a miniature railway with a main line length of about 1km running through a picturesque bush setting, with a mix of steam and diesel trains. And it’s right here in the outer Hills, although you’d never know from simply driving past! Read more about it here. See the Facebook page for details.
Pick your own fruit
Check out our list of places to visit here. At the moment mandarin picking is the thing to do! And you can also get tomatoes and pink lady apples.
GLOW at Sydney Zoo. Friday 12 May through to Saturday 17 June. 5.30pm – 10pm each night.
- Adults 16+ $29.99
- Children 3-15 $24.99
- Infants 0-2 FREE
Visit House Down Under at Rouse Hill Town Centre – HDMs receive 10% off
- 12pm to 6pm: Monday – Friday
- 10am – 6pm: Saturday – Sunday
Do something different on the weekend! Enter code HillsMums10 when purchasing tickets for a 10% discount. For more info & tickets visit https://housedownunder.com.au/
The Farm at Lynwood Country Club. Every Sunday 11am – 2pm.
Bring the kids along to Lynwood Country Club to see rabbits, goats and sheep! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm.
- Castle Hill Farmers and Fine Food Market – Saturday 10 June. 8am to 12pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- St Albans Village Market – Sunday 11 June. 10am to 2pm. St Albans.
- Dural Village Markets. Sunday 11 June. 9am to 2pm. Dural Country Club.
- Go for a bush walk. Here are our favourite kid friendly bush walks in the Hills.
- Go for a bike or scooter ride. Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths.
Other articles that might interest you:
- Winter School Holidays Guide
- Best playgrounds for Under 5s
- Day trips from the Hills
- Parks & coffee – a mum’s perfect combination
Did you know it’s free to list your event on hillsdistrictmums.com.au? We use our calendar to compile this list! List your event for FREE here.