Eel Festival at Elizabeth Farm. Saturday 11 March. 10am to 3pm.
Discover the Indigenous heritage of Parramatta, on Darug Country at a family-friendly celebration of eel season, when the Burramuttagal would gather to feast and share stories.
The day will start with a welcome ceremony and a corroboree with Nulungu Dreaming. Try traditional practices such as weaving and painting your own boomerang and learn the Darug language. Drop into the yarning circle to hear Uncle Wes Marne tell Dreaming stories, and don’t miss wandering through the beautiful work Healing land, remembering Country by renowned Kuku Yalanji artist Tony Albert. You can also look around the homestead and join curator Dr Jacqui Newling to discover how colonists prepared and ate eels.
Holi fun at Seven Hills Plaza. Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 March.
Join Seven Hills Plaza for a weekend of Holi fun on Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 March! On Saturday, throw on your old white shirts to splash colour around and team up with friends or family for obstacle course fun! Plus, dance to the DJ’s Bollywood tunes to win spot prizes every hour! Then on Sunday, add a touch of henna to your hand and enjoy Bollywood dance performers. Find out more here.
Galston Valley Railway Open Day. Sunday 12 March. 9.30am – 3pm.
Run by the Hornsby Model Engineers’ Co-operative, Galston Valley Railway is a miniature railway with a main line length of about 1km running through a picturesque bush setting, with a mix of steam and diesel trains. Great for little train fanatics. Currently, you must book in advance – visit the railway’s Facebook page for the latest information and for details on booking. Train riders must wear enclosed shoes.
Rouse Hill Estate open to the public. Sunday 12 March. 10am to 4pm.
Explore the property, marvel in its history, and enjoy some fun family activities such as LEGO®, boomerang throwing, the Schoolhouse and more! Here are some fun activities that you can take part in:
- Meet the animals – meet some of the farm animals at Rouse Hill Estate.
- Lego room – check out amazing models of the iconic Rouse Hill House, outbuildings, stable and barns constructed from LEGO® bricks, add your creations and little ones can add to the duple wall.
- Family activities – play some lawn games or have a picnic inside the grounds of Rouse Hill Estate.
- House viewings – sneak a peek inside the historic house, woolshed and stables (be aware the buildings may close for periods of cleaning).
- Schoolhouse experience – experience another time walking into our 1888 schoolhouse.
- Darug Culture and boomerang throwing at Muru Mittigar.
Soundproofed 80s Rewind live at Bella Vista Hotel. Saturday 11 March. From 9pm
The Bella Vista Hotel goes off every Saturday night with live bands. This week you can catch Soundproofed 80s Rewind. Show starts at 9pm, with a live DJ post show! Make a night of it and book a table for dinner beforehand.
Discovery Walkthrough: What’s that Sound?. Every Saturday and Sunday in March. Powerhouse Castle Hill. 11am, 1pm and 3pm.
Be taken on a journey of the sounds surrounding us. Some sounds provide help, such as alarms and sirens, others we choose to hear because they enrich our lives ― such as the noises made by gaming consoles, clocks, and of course, musical instruments. On this walkthrough we will explore all these types of sounds.
Join a 30-minute walkthrough every Saturday and Sunday in March at 11am, 1pm and 3pm.
Discovery Walkthroughs are free and you can register your interest when you arrive on the day subject to availability. More info here.
The Farm at Lynwood Country Club.
Every Sunday 11am – 2pm at Lynwood Country Club. Bring the kids along to see rabbits, birds and sheep! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm.
- Castle Hill Farmers and Fine Food Market – Saturday 11 March. 8am to 12pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- St Albans Village Market – Sunday 12 March. 10am to 2pm. St Albans.
- Dural Village Markets – Sunday 12 March. 9am to 2pm. Dural Country Club.
Other articles that might interest you:
- Term 1 Activities and Classes Guides
- Pubs, Clubs or Restaurants with a Playground in the Hills
- Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths
- Parks & coffee – a mum’s perfect combination
Did you know it’s free to list your event on hillsdistrictmums.com.au? We use our calendar to compile this list! List your event for FREE here.