- School holidays start Saturday 7 July. School goes back on Monday 23 July but most public schools have a staff development day on the first day back, with kids returning to school on Tuesday 24 July.
- Winter Fair at Rouse Hill Town Centre. An ice skating rink has arrived at Market Square, Rouse Hill Town Centre! Enjoy a range of activities including ice skating, bubble soccer, basketball on ice, food, prize giveaways and lots more! Runs from 25 June through to 22 July. Read more here.
- Earn Your Tucker at Rouse Hill House and Farm. Sunday 1 July. 10.30am to 12.30pm.
- Echidna Kids Bushwalk. Bambara Track Pennant Hills. Tuesday 3 July. 10am to 11.30am.
- Winterlight at Parramatta. Prince Alfred Square in Parramatta. From Friday 6 July until Saturday 21 July. Enjoy 17 fun-filled days at one of Sydney’s biggest winter festivals, complete with a range of family-friendly activities, including the largest open-air rink in Sydney, dedicated kid’s rink, an elevated ice slide, illuminated Ferris wheel, free children’s activities, amusement rides, delicious gourmet food and live music at the Alpine Food Village, and more. 10am to late daily.
- The Farm at Lynwood Country Club. Open every Sunday 11.30am – 3.30pm. Bring the kids along to see baby animals! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm.
- Every Tuesday Castle Hill RSL has Kids Day from 10.30am to 11.30am in their Courtyard.
- Game of Thrones Trivia Night at The Australian Brewery. Friday 6 July. From 7pm.
- Galston Valley Railway Open Day. Sunday 8 July, 9.30am – 3pm.
- NAIDOC Family Fun Day at Balcombe Heights Estate. Wednesday 11 July. 10am to 1pm.
- Running in the Shadows – Fleetwood Mac Tribute Show at The Australian Brewery. Friday 13 July. From 8.30pm.
- North Kellyville Square First Birthday event. Saturday 14 July. 10am to 2pm.
- NAIDOC Celebrations at Winston Hills Mall. Saturday 14 July and Sunday 15 July. 10am to 2pm.
- Celebrate NAIDOC Week at Rouse Hill House and Farm. Sunday 15 July. 10am to 3pm.
- Burramatta NAIDOC. Parramatta Park. Sunday 15 July. 12pm to 6pm.
- How I Met Your Mother Trivia Night at Bella Vista Hotel. Wednesday 18 July. From 7pm.
- Take a lap of the Eastern Creek Raceway in your family car. Friday 20 July. 6am to 8am.
- Parklands Tree Planting. Friday 20 July. Bungarribee Park. From 10am.
- What bird is that? At Western Sydney Parklands. Saturday 21 July and Saturday 28 July. 9am to 11am.
- Model Railway Exhibition. Castle Hill Showground. Saturday 21 July, 9am to 5pm and Sunday 22 July, 9am to 4pm.
- Spot that Waterbug. Nurragingy Reserve. Saturday 21 July. 10am to 11.30am.
- Retro 80s Night at Bella Vista Hotel. Friday 27 July. From 7pm.
- Sydney Hotshots at The Australian Brewery. Friday 27 July. From 8pm.
- The Night Sky Through Aboriginal Eyes at The Dairy – Cowpasture Rd, Abbotsbury. Saturday 28 July. 5.30pm to 7.30pm.
Do you still need to arrange a camp, class or activity if you need to work or just need to fill in a half-day, a day or more? Here are some options in and around the Hills that may have some spots left.
School Holidays at The Australian Brewery
Event Cinemas Castle Hill Free School Holiday Activities
When: Monday 9 July to Friday 20 July 2018.
Head to Event Cinemas these school holidays! Enjoy the latest movie releases plus every weekday (excluding Tuesdays) they have free family activities. New releases these school holidays include Incredibles 2, Hotel Transylvania 3 and Show Dogs.
Winter Fun at Rouse Hill House and Farm
Bush Tucker – Search for bush tucker plants with Aboriginal guides from Muru Mittigar around Rouse Hill House and Farm. Learn about traditional bush foods and make a traditional johnnycake. Then sit down to your well-earned tucker! When: 10.30am – 12pm, Monday 9 July, Wednesday 11 July, Monday 16 July, Wednesday 18 July. Tickets: Adult $20, Child $20, Family $55.
School Holiday Family Tours – Take a farmyard tour to explore the stables and meet the chooks, ‘Pudding’ the cow, and our horses Larry and Ziggy. Ring the school house bell and explore the 19th century school room with its animal specimens, piano and blackboard. There’s plenty to see and do! When: Daily in the holidays, on the hour 11am – 3pm.
Rouse Hill House & Farm in LEGO® Bricks – Marvel at the amazing models of the iconic Rouse Hill House, outbuildings, stable and barns constructed from LEGO® bricks with breathtaking architectural detail and accuracy by the Southern Hemisphere’s only LEGO®-certified professional, Australia’s Ryan McNaught. Create your own house and farm with over 200,000 loose LEGO® bricks featured in hands-on construction areas. Includes entry to Rouse Hill House & Farm. When: Exhibition is on now. Tickets: General $12 (adults & children), Concession $8, Family $38, FREE for Sydney Living Museums Members
For more information see here.
Free school holiday activities at North Rocks Shopping Centre
Week 1 – Dinosaur Discovery – Monday 9 July to Thursday 12 July. 11am to 2pm daily.
Week 2 – Soccer play – Monday 16 July to Friday 20 July. 11am to 2pm daily.
For more information visit here.
Humpback Whale Sculture Workshops at Castle Towers
Monday 9 July to Sunday 22 July from 10am to 2pm. No bookings required, all ages welcome.
Drop by one of the free recycled art workshops with the kids this school holiday period and help bring to life a 1.2m-high sculpture of a mother humpback whale. Each day kids and adults are invited to head along to paint and decorate their own recycled plastic objects under the guidance of artists. Check back regularly over the fortnight to see the sculpture evolving! Upon its completion at the end of school holidays, the Castle Towers whale will be displayed as a beautiful piece of community art and timely reminder of the impact of plastic pollution on our oceans.
While you are there drop past the giant jellyfish light installations currently swimming through Castle Towers and watch them spark to life as they sense your presence. Inspired by the bioluminescence of real-world jellyfish, these beautiful glow-in-the-dark sculptures will capture your imagination as they transform before your eyes.
Explore, learn, wonder and play at Seven Hills Plaza
Week 1 – Blocks, ramps, run and roundabouts – Tuesday 10 July to Thursday 12 July from 10am – 1pm
Test the forces of gravity, trajectory and velocity in our amazing world of blocks, ramps, tubes and chutes. FREE.
Week 2 – Drawing on the walls – Tuesday 17 July to Thursday 19 July 2018 from 10am – 1pm
Let your artistic side shine and create a masterpiece in our huge collaborative community art wall. FREE.
Lego fun at Cherrybrook Village
When: Monday 9 July through to Sunday 15 July. 11am to 2pm.
Join in the fun with LEGO® bricks these school holidays. There’s lots of great prizes to be won and a special guest appearance by Lego Emmet. FREE.
Soccer Skills Workshop at Stanhope Village
From Monday 9 July to Friday 13 July, 11am to 2pm.
School Holiday Fun at Winston Hills Mall
Week 1 – Circus Skills Workshops – Monday 9 July through to Friday 13 July. 10.30am to 1.30pm.
Escape to the circus this school holidays with fun circus school workshops at Winston Hills Mall! Kid’s can learn how to juggle, spin plates, hula hoop, balance and basic acrobatics!
Week 2 – The Thumbkins Show Live – Monday 16 July to Friday 20 July.
Put your thumbs up and get ready to dance with Katherine, Marlon, Goldie the Fish and Frankie the Bear! This fun and interactive stage show is sure to get your hips wiggling and your feet tapping with original songs and characters! Two shows daily – 11am and 1:30pm. Free show – Outside Big W.
Other school holiday events
- Pirate Storytime at Baulkham Hills Library. Suitable for children in school years K-2. Tuesday 10 July. 11am to 12pm.
- Mask Designing Workshop at Dundas Library. Suitable for children aged 7 to 12 years. Tuesday 10 July. 10.30am to 12.30pm.
- Walkabout Reptile Show at Constitution Hill Library. Suitable for children aged 5 to 15 years. Tuesday 10 July. 11am to 12pm.
- NAIDOC Week Craft Activities at Carlingford Library. Suitable for children aged 8 to 12 years. Tuesday 10 July. 2pm to 3.30pm.
- NAIDOC Week Activity at Dundas Library. Suitable for children aged 8 to 12 years. Wednesday 11 July. 10.30am to 12pm.
- Writing Workshops with Tamsin Janu (author of Figgy in the World). Suitable for children school years 3-6. Wednesday 11 July. 10am to 11am and 11.30am to 12.30pm at Vinegar Hill Library, Rouse Hill.
- Sweet Dreams Storytime at Vinegar Hill Library Rouse Hill. Wear your PJ’s and bring a cuddly friend to share some stories. Make your very own dreamcatcher to hang in your bedroom. Suitable for children in school years K-3. Thursday 12 July. 10.30am to 11.30am.
- Golden Ridge Animal Farm Be a Farmer for a Day. Friday 13 July, Saturday 14 July and Sunday 15 July.
- Illustration Workshop with Cheryl Orsini at Castle Hill Library. Suitable for children school years 3-6. Wednesday 18 July. 10am to 11am and 11.30am to 12.30pm.
- Bush Tucker Workshop at Castle Hill Library. Suitable for children in years K-6. Thursday 19 July.10.30am to 12.30pm.
- Space Storytime at Dural Library. Suitable for children in school years K-2. Friday 20 July. 2pm to 3pm.
- Bella Vista Farm Open Day and Free Spirit Markets – Sunday 1 July. 9am to 2pm. Bella Vista Farm.
- Sydney Boutique Markets – Sunday 1 July. 10am to 4pm. Rouse Hill Town Centre.
- Castle Hill Farmers and Fine Food Market – Saturday 14 July and Saturday 28 July. 8am to 12pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- Glenorie Growers Market – Sunday 22 July. 8am to 1pm. Glenorie RSL.
- The Hills UPMarket – Sunday 22 July. 8.30am to 3pm. Hills District Pony Club.
- Aussie NightMarkets – Saturday 28 July. 5pm to 10pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- FREE storytime sessions for babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers are held by libraries in the Hills throughout the week. For the full calendar see here. Note – these sessions do not run through the school holidays.
- Sing, Rhyme and Story Time at North Rocks Shopping Centre. Every Tuesday from 10am – 10.30am. Note – these sessions do not run through the school holidays.
Other articles that might interest you:
- Check out what’s coming to Castle Towers
- Upgraded playground: Castle Hill Heritage Park
- The Hills Sydney: Best playgrounds for Under 5s
- Pubs, Clubs or Restaurants with a Playground in the Hills
- Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths
Did you know it’s free to list your event on hillsdistrictmums.com.au? We use our calendar to compile this list! List your event for FREE here.