- Public school holidays start Saturday 6 July. School goes back on Monday 22 July but most public schools have a staff development day on the first day back, with kids returning to school on Tuesday 23 July.
- Winter Fair at Rouse Hill Town Centre. An ice skating rink has arrived at Market Square, Rouse Hill Town Centre! Enjoy a 30 minute session on the ice skating rink with your friends and family. Runs from 21 June through to 21 July. Read more here.
- Warami Mittigar – Aboriginal Cultural Walk. This easy walk, along the river and in beautiful Parramatta Park, is a wonderful opportunity to spend time on country with an Aboriginal traditional custodian, learning about connections to land, plant uses, tools, hunting and other aspects of local culture. Monday 1 July. 10am to 12pm.
- Winterlight at Parramatta. Prince Alfred Square in Parramatta. From Friday 5 July until Sunday 21 July. Enjoy 17 fun-filled days at one of Sydney’s biggest winter festivals, , complete with a range of family-friendly activities, including the largest open-air rink in Sydney, dedicated kid’s rink, an elevated ice slide, illuminated Ferris wheel, free children’s activities, amusement rides, delicious gourmet food and live music at the Alpine Food Village, and more. 10am to late daily.
- Bella Fridays – Best of the 80s, 90s and 00s RNB. Friday 5 July. From 8pm.
- Winterfest Medieval Fair. Hawkesbury Showground. Saturday 6 July and Sunday 7 July. 10am to 5pm.
- NAIDOC Week Craft Activities. All Parramatta Council libraries. 9.30am to 5pm. Sunday 7 July to Sunday 14 July.
- The Farm at Lynwood Country Club. Every Sunday 11.30am – 3.30pm. Bring the kids along to see rabbits, birds and sheep! They’ll be entertained by the animal feedings and learn about life on the farm.
- Every Tuesday Castle Hill RSL has Kids Day from 10.30am to 11.30am in their Courtyard.
- Echidna Kids Bushwalk. Bambara Track Pennant Hills. Tuesday 9 July. 10am to 11.30am.
- NAIDOC Family Fun Day at Balcombe Heights Estate. Wednesday 10 July. 10am to 1pm.
- Parklea Markets family fun day. Sunday 14 July, 11am – 2pm.
- Galston Valley Railway Open Day. Sunday 14 July, 9.30am – 3pm.
- Burramatta NAIDOC. Parramatta Park. Sunday 14 July. 12pm to 6pm.
- Celebrate NAIDOC Week at Rouse Hill House and Farm. Sunday 14 July. 10am to 4pm.
- 80s v 90s Pop at Bella Vista Hotel. Friday 19 July. From 8pm.
- Hawkesbury Fest. Governor Phillip Park, Windsor. Sunday 21 July. 10am to 3pm.
- Friends Trivia Night at Bella Vista Hotel. Wednesday 24 July. From 7pm.
- 80s v 90s White Party at Bella Vista Hotel. Friday 26 July. From 8pm.
- National Tree Day. Sunday 28 July.
- Pinot and Picasso at Bella. Wednesday 31 July. From 8pm.
- Kids Go Free in July at Featherdale Wildlife Park – more info here.
Do you still need to arrange a camp, class or activity if you need to work or just need to fill in a half-day, a day or more? Here are some options in and around the Hills that may have some spots left.
School Holidays at Castle Hill RSL
The Magical World of Crazy Science – Join us on Tuesday July 9 for some School Holiday magic as Richard Scholes brings his hilarious mix of comedy and interactive ‘Scientrific’ magic to the stage. 11am to 12pm. More info here.
The Ultimate Magic Show – Jonas performs in an action packed show, featuring hilarious comedy and mind blowing magic for kids and parents alike.Wednesday 17 July. 11am to 12pm. More info here.
Winter Fun at Rouse Hill House and Farm
Bush Tucker – Search for bush tucker plants with Aboriginal guides from Muru Mittigar around Rouse Hill House and Farm. Learn about traditional bush foods and make a traditional johnnycake. Then sit down to your well-earned tucker! Friday 19 July. 10.30am to 12pm. Tickets: Adult $20, Child $20. Find out more here.
Earn your Tucker – Help feed the chickens, collect the eggs, grind the corn, make the butter and pump the water. At the end of the program, you’ll sit on the verandah for some well-earned tucker! When: 10.30am – 12pm, Tuesday 9 July, Thursday 11 July, Tuesday 16 July, Thursday 18 July. Tickets: Adult $20, Child $20. Find out more here.
School Holiday Family Tours – Take a farmyard tour to explore the stables and meet the chooks, ‘Pudding’ the cow, and our horses Larry and Ziggy. Ring the school house bell and explore the 19th century school room with its animal specimens, piano and blackboard. There’s plenty to see and do! When: Daily in the holidays, on the hour 11am – 3pm. Find out more here.
Rouse Hill House & Farm in LEGO® Bricks – Marvel at the amazing models of the iconic Rouse Hill House, outbuildings, stable and barns constructed from LEGO® bricks with breathtaking architectural detail and accuracy by the Southern Hemisphere’s only LEGO®-certified professional, Australia’s Ryan McNaught. Create your own house and farm with over 200,000 loose LEGO® bricks featured in hands-on construction areas. Includes entry to Rouse Hill House & Farm. When: Exhibition is on now. Tickets: General $12 (adults & children), Concession $8, Family $38, FREE for Sydney Living Museums Members. More info here.
Free school holiday activities at North Rocks Shopping Centre
Week 1 – Watercolour Art Workshop – Monday 8 July to Friday 12 July. 11am to 2pm daily.
Week 2 – Snow Globe Craft – Monday 15 July to Friday 19 July. 11am to 2pm daily.
For more information visit here.
Meet the Senses at Castle Towers
Saturday 6 July to Sunday 21 July from 10am to 3pm (5pm to 8pm on Thursday evenings). Suitable for ages 4-12 years under 4 years must be supervised by parent/guardian.
Go on an experimental journey of the five senses, where you can explore the weird and wonderful ways our senses work! See, smell, taste, hear and touch your way around a series of interactive pods these holidays and get to know the weird and wonderful ways the five senses work.
Smell-a-vision – Put your sniffing skills to the ultimate test! Spin the wheel and match the test tubes scents. Can you guess correctly?
Sounds like fun – The disco dome will carry you into a music bubble. Don’t forget to bring your dancing shoes!
Feelin’ arty – Here’s your chance to get creative with colour. Build a series of sculptures and let your imagination run wild!
Taste bud time – Bring your own flavour to the table. Decorate your very own take-home placemat, whilst learning a few tasty facts along the way.
Creative Workshops at the Hills Super Centre
Fairy and Dinosaur Garden Workshop – Tuesday 9 July – Come build a mad, fun, living fairy or dinosaur garden. You will build and plant your fairy garden in a terracotta pot. All children must have an adult carer attending the class. The workshop ticket includes one adult and one child. 11am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm. Cost: $25.
Macrame Wall Hanging Workshop – Wednesday 10 July – Learn how to make your own macrame wall hanging! You will learn how to get set up, the basic knots of macrame, and then create your own design to take home and display. 11am – 1pm. Cost: $26
Organic Handmade Skincare Workshop – Thursday 18 July – Learn about wonderful natural ingredients that help to keep your skin soft and smooth. Make a vibrant, lively body scrub that uses ingredients from your pantry and a nourishing lip balm to soothe chapped, cracked lips during winter. Age guide: From 7 years+. This workshop would be suitable for parents to attend with their child as well. 11am. $25 per ticket.
Slime workshop with Wacky Scientists – Friday 19 July Join in this fun and free slime workshop! Dress up as a wacky scientist and create your special concoction of slime to take home. Free event. Various times.
For more information on these workshops click here.
FREE activities at Seven Hills Plaza
Week 1 – Play Dough Workshop – Make your own play dough and receive a free mini rolling pin and shape cutter toolkit. Tuesday 9 July, Wednesday 10 July and Thursday 11 July. Time: 10am – 1pm. Sessions begin at 10am, 10:30am, 11am, 11:30am, 12pm and 12:30pm. Twelve children per session. Sessions are on a first come, first served basis.
Week 2 – Spindles Craft Workshop – Decorate your own notebook with Spendless Shoes and receive a free $5 store voucher. Tuesday 16 July, Wednesday 17 July and Thursday 18 July 2019. Time: 10am – 1pm.
Winter Fair at Rouse Hill Town Centre
Ice Rink – An ice skating rink has arrived at Market Square, Rouse Hill Town Centre! Enjoy a 30 minute session on the ice skating rink with your friends and family. Runs from 21 June through to 21 July. Read more here.
Creatures of the Ice – Go back to prehistoric times and view and exhibit of life-size ice animals plus join in the activity zone, with different craft items each week. From Monday 8 July to Friday 19 July. 11am to 2pm daily.
Winter Carnival – Slide down Main St on the 25 metre toboggan, ride the carousel and spin on the all new ferris wheel! From Saturday 6 July to Sunday 21 July. 10am to 9pm daily. Cost: Varies per ride, 2 hour unlimited wristband available for $20. More information here.
Week 1 – Get Crafty with Featherdale Wildlife Park – Meet Archer the Koala mascot from Featherdale and get crafty with some interesting arts and crafts. Monday 8 July to Friday 12 July. 11am to 2pm daily. Special guest appearances from their friends at Featherdale. Wednesday 10 July and Friday 12 July. 11am to 12pm.
Week 2 – Epic Slime Workshop – Monday 15 July to Friday 19 July. 10am to 3pm daily.
More info here.
Hello Kitty meet and greet.
Other school holiday events
- Inflatable Holiday Fun at The Centre in Dural. Monday 8 July to Friday 12 July. 9.30am to 4.30pm.
- Raft Craft at Dural Library. Suitable for children in school years 2-5. Wednesday 10 July. 11am to 12pm.
- Golden Ridge Animal Farm Be a Farmer for a Day. Saturday 13 July and Sunday 14 July.
- The Marsden Brewhouse have daily kids activities. From Monday 8 July to Sunday 21 July. Check out their Facebook page for details.
- The Australian Brewery have school holidays activities daily between 12pm and 2pm. Check out their Facebook page for details.
- Aussie NightMarket – Saturday 6 July. 5pm to 10pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- Sydney Boutique Markets – Sunday 7 July. 10am to 4pm. Rouse Hill Town Centre.
- Castle Hill Farmers and Fine Food Market – Saturday 13 July and Saturday 27 July. 8am to 12pm. Castle Hill Showground.
- The Growers’ Markets – Dural Country Club. Sunday 14 July. 9am to 2pm. Dural Country Club.
- The Hills UPMarket – Sunday 28 July. 8.30am to 3pm. Hills District Pony Club.
- Glenorie Growers Market – Sunday 28 July. 9am to 1pm. Glenorie RSL.
- FREE storytime sessions for babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers are held by libraries in the Hills throughout the week. For the full calendar see here. Note: these sessions aren’t run during school holidays.
Other articles that might interest you:
- Pick your own fruit this Winter
- Go on a train adventure: Sydney Metro Northwest line
- Kid friendly bush walks in the Hills
- The Hills Sydney: Best playgrounds for Under 5s
- Pubs, Clubs or Restaurants with a Playground in the Hills
- Parks in the Hills with bike and scooter paths
Did you know it’s free to list your event on hillsdistrictmums.com.au? We use our calendar to compile this list! List your event for FREE here.